Railways | 1890 | Silent | B/W
Phantom ride from the front of a train from Barnstable to Ilfracombe, Devon. The line was opened in 1874 and closed in 1970.
The film starts with the crossing of the River Taw the famous cast iron bridge which turns 90 degrees to run paralell with the river.
Passing Barnstaple Quay Station now closed and replaced by Barnstaple town station which was built to accommodate the new narrow gauge Railway of the Lynton and Barnstaple ( now seen in this film ) on the opposite platform.
Crossing Pottington swing bridge, known locally as Pill Bridge. The signal man on the side of the track reacts negatively to, presumably , the cameraman on the fron tof the train.
Descending and descending Mortoe bank, 1 in 37 slope to Illfracombe station, though Illfracomber tunnel 69 yrds long. Illfracombe station, where you hopefully stop at the buffers, because there is a sheer drop on the other side of the building.
To request more details on this film, please contact us quoting Film number 1040.