Film: 11175

Sport | 1960 | Sound | B/W


An online film clip is not available yet, please contact us for a viewing


This piece of footage covers highlights of the F.A. Cup Quarter Final match between Second Division Crystal Palace and First Division Leeds United, at Selhurst Park on 10 March 1965.

Palace kick off against Leeds who wear a change of strip due to a colour clash. Bobby Kellard, of Palace, can be seen nearest the camera. The film cuts from the kick-off to action in the Palace goal-mouth via the camera to the side of the goal. Goalkeeper Greville Millington dives on a Leeds shot, closely shepherded by defender, Alan Stephenson. As Millington throws the ball out the film cuts to palace attacking the Leeds goal. Cliff Holton lays the ball back to Kellard, whose shot is held by Leeds keeper, Gary Sprake. The towering figure of defender Jackie Charlton looks on. Cut to a Leeds attack and the ball is played into the penalty area where a Leeds forward sees his shot brilliantly saved by the diving Millington. From the loose ball a follow up shot is blocked. Cut to a shot from Johnny Giles of Leeds that is saved by Millington at the feet of a Leeds forward. Another Leeds attack and a right wing across into the Palace goal-mouth is headed out by Stephenson. The ball reaches Giles whose shot is saved by Millington. This is probably the same piece of action shown earlier but from a different camera and angle.

There is no score at half-time and a crowd scene is shown including one middle-aged fan in a wheelchair. Leeds kick-off the second half and Charlton punts the ball upfield. Cut to action in the Palace goal-mouth and a cross is headed out. Leeds fail to capitalise on the loose ball and palace effect a clearance. Action from around the centre circle as a Palace player puts the ball into the crowd. Leeds keeper Sprake then retrieves a ball into the Leeds box amongst a melee of players. Leeds finally score when a right-wing cross by Giles is headed down into the six-yard box by a forward. England International Alan Peacock slams the ball into the roof of the net. Switch to Palace shot that is tipped over the bar by Sprake. Leeds attack again and from a Jim Storrie pass Alan Peacock scores his second goal with a left-foot shot past the onrushing Millington. Palace restart the match and Bert Howe launches the ball forward. Cut to a left-wing cross into the Leeds box that grazes the head of Charlton and eludes keeper Sprake. Howe shoots weakly and Sprake scrambles a save. Willie Bell, Leeds left-back, is shown launching the ball forward before swiftly cutting to Jim Storrie scoring Leeds's third goal. Back to the Leeds goal-mouth and a lob by Palace's Roy Horobin is pushed on to the post by Sprake. From only a couple of yards out Stephenson misses an open goal, slicing the ball the wrong side of the post.

The players are shown leaving the pitch among fans, shaking hands as they run off. Shot of fans on pitch clamouring in front of the main stand. Leeds went on to beat Manchester United in the Semi-Final, only to lose to Liverpool in the Final.

To request more details on this film, please contact us quoting Film number 11175.