Medicine | 1950 | Sound | B/W
History of the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals. First half of film consists of 1930's footage, the rest 1950's.
Follows the start of the PDSA in the East End (excellent scenes of slums and Whitechapel in East End of London in 1930's) in 1917 by Mrs Maria Dickens, until the time of the film in 1957. In these forty years the dispensary has grown and become a significant charity for animals, due to its free veterinary service and its place among the poorer city areas. Mobile units are shown at work amongst the everyday scenes at the animal hospital in Ilford, which also include an operation to remove a darning needle from the tongue of an alsatian dog. Also rescue of a horse from a bog.
To request more details on this film, please contact us quoting Film number 3748.