Railways | 1980 | Sound | Colour
An online film clip is not available yet, please contact us for a viewing
Brighton a history of its popularity as a seaside and holiday resort. The nineteenth century engravings and prints to illustrate Devil's Dyke, a deep gorge in the Sussex Downs five and half miles form Brighton, and its railway 1980's
In 1831 Mr William Thacker opened a small hotel on the Dyke Hill and when James Hubbard took over and increased the facility with a Bicycle Railway, swings and roundabouts and a brass band. Also the Aerial Cableway and the Funicular Railway . In 1887 a standard gauge railway gave easy access to the Dyke.
A history of Brighton, its architecture, photographs of the 'Daddy-Long-Legs' seashore Railway, the Volks Electric Railway and the early days at Devil's Dyke, including a Cable Car across the Dyke, a Funicular Railway to the village below, a funfair switchback railway and the line which opened in 1887 from Hove to Rowan Halt, Golf Club Halt and the Dyke. There are photographs of the 'E4s' used on this line including Nos 2492 and 2505 and a rare piece of archive film of the last train with SR 'E4' 0-6-2T No 2494 on an auto train, 31 December 1938.
To request more details on this film, please contact us quoting Film number 8382.